Dip Dye-arama

Its no secret I am a little obsessed with a good dip dye - from my hair which is back to brown roots and blond ends - to my wardrobe and whilst I was bleaching the purple out of my hair this weekend I was thinking about how the sun brought out the hippy in all of us.

For example silhouettes get slouchy, less formal, and a boho maxi dress is now acceptable to cope with the summer's extreme heat (there is no air con in my office)  whilst frizzy, curly hair runs riot and pedicures become necessity for all the flip flops you start wearing.

Something else I have noticed which happens every summer is that the high street explodes with bleached out denims, acid washes, tie dyes prints and dip dyes.

This year is no exception but the key piece - which you MUST own - is a pair of dip dye shorts or, for the brave, hot pants!

What I have discovered in my research is that it helps if they are denim, but lace and crochet are also on the menu, colours are eye popping and a little bit of distressed detailing, such as frayed hems, will get you far.

With that in mind I have selected my favourite four pairs and styled them four ways for the perfect on-trend ensemble. Enjoy!


Look 1: I lost my heart at Coachella

Take one pair of shorts from Miss Selfridge, throw in a crop top and a weave bag and you are festival ready. Glamour pusses can choose a flat form or wedge, whilst the more practical can opt for cowboy boots or wellingtons. I'd style this with plenty of colour or braids in my hair and an arm stacked with friendship bracelets.


Crop top, Mara Hoffman, £145, Shorts, Miss Selfridge, £35, Bag, H & M, £7.99, Shoes, Missoni, £545



Look 2: Saturday Night Fever

If you are out on a Saturday night wearing dip dye shorts here is how to do it: take a scarf print top, tuck it in and add a snake print bag in contrast colours casually slung over one shoulder. Finally keep accessories to the minimum and let the shoes do the talking.


Top, Warehouse, £32, Shorts, Topshop, £34, Bag, Jerome Dreyfuss, £700, Shoes, Brian Atwood, £555

 
Look 3: Pretending your at Cannes

If you can't be on the French Riviera this summer pretend with this variation on the tribal trend with some nautical thrown in. The more subdued palette is down to the explosion of texture: you have lattice work on the top, crochet on the shorts, a snake print bag and perspex panels on the shoes. To die for with some oversize sunnies and floppy hat.


Top, £510, Sass & Bide, Shorts, Girl by Band of Outsiders, £400, Bag, Stella McCartney, £545, Shoes, Dolce & Gabbana, £475



Look 4: Double Trouble

When wearing denim shorts why not double up with a denim top. Take this button down shirt, tuck it in and sling a suede tassel bag over for extra texture. Now pile on the height with these candy cane heels with a raffia weave that reminds me of a beach mat. Summer ready, double the trouble.



Denim shirt, Topshop, £32, Shorts, £14.99, H & M, Bag, £74.99, Mango, Shoes, £940, Brian Atwood



Ps. Apologies for the designer price tags on some of the items, especially the shoes! Next shopping post I do I am going to show you where to find the hottest S/S 12 catwalk trends on the high street to compensate.


No comments:

Post a Comment