Graduate Fashion Week: Day 1

I am very fortunate in that my day job allows me to some great events, including Graduate Fashion Week which kicked off today at Earl's Court 2.

I love GFW because everyone just seems so (to bluntly put it) KEEN!

There is none of the jaded "been there and done that attitude" which you can sometimes see at London Fashion Week and everyone is very optimistic about the new wave of talent coming out of the UK's top Universities.

As a result there is a good buzz about the show and on the first day it was packed as usual.

I started my day off with the first catwalk from the University of East London and was instantly blown away with the maturity of some of the collections. Clearly these designers had thought about the buyers, the press, their end customer and everything in-between.

Two of the graduates showing with University of East London came from Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA) in Singapore where they partner with UEL to offer a BA(Hons) Fashion degree, 2012 seeing the first graduates of this course.

My favourite looks were probably the print based collections including Lulu Ghebre who reminded me a lot of Georgina Hardinge. Others that caught my eye were the architecturally sculptural yet feminine collections of Aimee Ward and Uma Kangai.

I then went on to the University of Central Lancashire show before my camera died (apologies for the blurry images) where i found more of the same. Sculpture and beauty from Samantha Messias, prints from Steph Cunningham, including a baroque jacket I just have to have, and the two were combined by Xiaoping (fiona) Huang to great effect. Accordion trousers anyone?

Below i have highlighted some of my favourites from today's opening shows and I'll be back tomorrow with more looks from the likes of De Montfort and Nottingham Trent. Enjoy!


University of East London

Terri-Leigh Finnegan

Felippe Johan

Tiffany Baron

Lulu Ghebre

Uma Kangai


Aimee Ward


See more from the catwalk after the jump




University of Central Lancashire

Samantha Messias
Steph Cunningham

Xiaoping (fiona) Huang


I'll be back tomorrow with more coverage from the second day of Graduate Fashion Week.


No comments:

Post a Comment