London Fashion Week: Day 4

Day four at London Fashion Week and it was a story of colour and print across the board.

I started my day off at the Louise Gray show, held at the amazing Topshop show space, just off Tottenham Court Road.

This season Louise worked with Barbie for the show, producing three adult looks inspired by the Mattel doll. Gray had intended to dress the doll in a different way to how we’re used to seeing her, putting her ‘in some separates and layer up her look, giving her a different way to be girly and fun.’ And fun it certainly was, as monochrome tights featured graffiti style logo's and a T-shirt was littered with pink Barbie badges.


Other pieces in the collection seemed to be a mix of 60's silhouettes with a 90's attitude which perfectly matched the rude boy, thumping bass of the show's soundtrack.

A-line shift dresses featured mirrored discs, and were paired with buttoned up shirts and nipped capri pants or worn with tights worn underneath. Accessory wise the more 'out there' perspex headbands worked well with the more wearable over sized graphic earrings and large disc rings.


Next I went to the Craig Lawrence Salon Show held at Somerset House. The knitwear designer was driven by "a desire for purity of colour-palette for S/S 13" and this translated to a range of knits made with silver, clear and reflective yarn, designed to "bring texture and silhouette to the fore."

Inspired by phosphorescent plankton that glow in the ocean, knits were reminiscent of jellyfish and urchins. Amazing shapes were created across a range of column dresses that drew murmurs of appreciation in the crowd.

Apologies for the slightly grainy pictures they were taken on my Iphone after I committed the classic faux pas of leaving my memory card in another camera.



See more after the jump



Other shows which inspired me today are highlighted below, and though I sadly didn't receive an invite to these, I've tried to decipher them as best as I can!

Peter Pilotto was, as always,a riot of print and colour. I'm happy to see peplums are sticking around for S/S 13 as its possibly one of the most flattering shapes ever! Also popular were midi lengths, cut out panels and printed trousers. My three favourites are below - I just love the lilac mixed with lime green and navy -  it looks so fresh!


Burberry Prorsum as ever was a spectacle, going in a new direction for S/S 13 with an explosion of colour and shiny metallics. Signature trenches were re-worked in jewel tones along with brighter shades of raspberry, fuchsia, gold, blue, green and even a dip dye effect. Shapes were either closely fitted or full of volume with huge bell sleeves on jackets and full skirts below. The three below were particular favourites - I want them all!


Another hot ticket today was Christopher Kane, who's inspiration for S/S 13 came from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. The show started of with white quilted rose jackets, gradually adding colour in delicate pink and lemon, then slowly came the layering of texture with ruching, frills, bows, black masking tape and to finish, chandelier shaped jewelled appliques. I must admit I was not as quickly sold on the collection as I was last season but I can see pieces here being amazing on editorial shoots and there were plenty of red carpet options too.


Check back tomorrow for updates from the fifth and final day of LFW where I'll be attending some shows at Vauxhall Fashion Scout and the Fashion Fringe finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment