Mixing Fashion & Workwear in Autumn/Winter 2013

I’m often asked where the best place is to find great women’s workwear and although I’m eager to answer the question, I’m also just as nervous! This is because most people’s idea of office attire - pencil skirts, blazers, and button up shirts - probably does not gel with my vision.

Having always worked in more of a 'fashion' than formal environment I'll often choose trends over tailoring and though I'm happy telling colleagues that one day I'm channeling the 'Hitchcock heroine' look, I'm not always convinced I look like I mean business whilst doing it. 

My solution this season is Hobbs. Known for its very British approach to design and tailoring, I've always coveted the brand's signature DNA which is polished yet practical, sleek and sophisticated - definitely what I need to be taken seriously. Added to that, Hobbs is looking more directional than ever for Autumn Winter 13 - now we're talking trends! When scanning the online store my eye was roving between the 60's style shift dresses to the over-sized outerwear with mannish cuts - how very Antonio Berardi - when I was distracted by the most marvellous pink cocoon coat. Needless to say I had more than enough options when compiling this edit, which is why I've broken it down into easy to mix and match ensembles rather than my usual ten key pieces. 

I hope you enjoy my edit, the majority of pieces are available to buy online and in stores now but there are a few sneak peeks of styles coming soon. I'd advise joining the waiting lists now...


Outfit number one centres around the Lacey cocoon coat in shade-of-the-season sugary pink. With a coat this bright I'd keep the rest of my ensemble simple with monochrome tones. The quilted skirt adds texture whilst flashing a hint of leopard print sock over the top of my ankle boot is a playful touch I wouldn't be able to resist no matter how serious the boss. 


One of AW 13's biggest trends is for texture, whether its for vinyl, fur or fluffy knits. I've clashed this pastel pink cashmere sweater with a leather full circle skirt, the Teddie fur bag, and the high shine Brigitte loafer from sister label NW3. Experimentation is key to this trend and anything goes as long as it has that ‘touch me’ feeling.




For my third outfit the star of the show is the over-sized Phillipa car coat which is coming soon. This mannish silhouette is something you'll be wearing for years to come and in its classic beige shade its definitely a investment piece. Pair with black trousers, the Ivette ponyskin effect tee (also coming soon) and leopard print courts. A burnished burgundy bag adds a welcome pop of colour to this chic, timeless ensemble. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I would happily reach through my computer and add everything to my closet!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete